Mission:

Giving you the tools and skills to help you develop into a stronger teacher of literacy!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Phonemic Awareness Activity: Zippity Do Da

Phonemic Awareness is the ability to hear sounds in words.

www.google.com


A fun activity to do with children is to sing different versions of the Disney classic Zippity Do Da...however, you change the first letter using a letter (specifically a consonant, not a vowel) to make a silly song.

I have my little one tell me a letter and I sing the silly version...then we end with "What sound did the "letter used" make?

My child says "T"

Sing...

Tippity To Ta, Tippity Tay,
My oh my what a wonderful day,
Plenty of sunshine coming my way,
Tippity To Ta, Tippity Tay.

What sound does a "t" make?

Then I ask for another letter

My child says "P"

Pippity Pop Pa, Pippity Pay,
My oh my what a wonderful day,
Plenty of sunshine coming my way,
Pippity Poo Pa, Pippity Pay.

What sound does a "p" make?

We sing this in the car, at bed time, while going on the swing or almost anywhere.  My daughter loves to sing and singing silly songs make it even more fun.

Give it a try...it may end up one of your child's favorite songs or activity...Remember its okay to be silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment