Mission:

Giving you the tools and skills to help you develop into a stronger teacher of literacy!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Word Wall Words: Using Rhythm, Rhyme & Songs

As you can see the recent posts have focused around word wall or sight word learning activities.  Here is another one that I like to use.  Some children respond well to rhythm and rhyme or songs.  So, whenever possible I try to have some fun with a word using rhythm, rhyme and songs.  My littlest one just turned three and she is up to five sight words that she knows pretty well is recognizing them in emergent reader books.  This method works well with her since she loves singing.  These methods also worked well in the classroom.  Again, I am trying to reach different learning styles with the different activities I use to teach sight words.

Examples:
my....m-y spells my , m-y spells my, m-y spells my, my my my
can...c-a-nnnnn, can , c-a-nnnnn, can, c-a-nnnnn, can, can can can
stop...s-t-o-p, stop, the hold our hands up to say stop. repeat
see... s-e-e, see (hold our hands like we are looking through them, repeat.

http://www.amazon.com/
To practice the words, we sing them in the car, during breakfast, whenever she see the word cards on our refrigerator she reads them.  The words cards are ones you can buy on amazon or other stores. You can even make them at home using the dolch list.

No comments:

Post a Comment